my madness delivered direct to your inbox


Man! It has been awhile. I really appreciate your looking after the place while I've been gone. Everything looks terrific. Seriously - the chrysanthemums would have been withered shadows of their former selves in my care. Even my goldfish seem perkier. I can't thank you enough.

So take a load off! Make yourself comfortable! I'll make coffee.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

nine problems with this Canadian book about US history that I found on the Borders bargain table

  • says Squanto sat down to eat with pilgrims in October
  • includes DVD of Anne of Green Gables as part of chapter on post-Civil War era
  • US citizens referred to as "non-Canadian North Americans"
  • WWI discussion focuses on the ways in which war led to rise of Canadian supremacy in Olympic hockey
  • when cover is opened, device in spine plays Bryan Adams' "Cuts Like a Knife"
  • story about soldiers at Valley Forge surviving on only back bacon and beer
  • on maps, US-Canada border moved 200 miles south
  • unfamiliar presidents referred to as "the beardy one," "the hoser that them bears were named after," etc.
  • names of all states end in "ay"
click here for the "My Country, 'Tis of Tree-Death" (printable) version

No comments: