my madness delivered direct to your inbox


Man! It has been awhile. I really appreciate your looking after the place while I've been gone. Everything looks terrific. Seriously - the chrysanthemums would have been withered shadows of their former selves in my care. Even my goldfish seem perkier. I can't thank you enough.

So take a load off! Make yourself comfortable! I'll make coffee.

Saturday, February 9, 2008

zen rude-ism: the principle of not-doing-by-having-someone-else-do



from Lai-tze's fourth sutra




He who seeks Zen must learn to do by not doing. HOWEVER...if he can learn to do by having someone else do for him, he can seek Zen while enjoying a nice salad and having his dry cleaning picked up.

--Rude-ist Master Lai-Tze





the third kondo of Lai-Tze

After laboring for weeks, Seiko wandered one morning into the hut of his master, Lai-Tze. He found his master playing a ball-and-cup game while reclining in a bamboo chair.

“Master,” Seiko said, breathless and weak, “I require your wisdom.”

“You got it, kid,” said Lai-Tze. “Shoot.”

“You have told me I would find Zen in the mending of your roof. I did not. You said I would find Zen in the tending of your garden. I have not. You taught that I would find Zen in the cleaning of your dishes. I have not. Nor have I found Zen in the washing of your clothes, the sweeping of your floor, or in the drawing of your bath each evening. Each day I end my meditations in exhaustion, feeling no closer to Awakening.” Seiko sat on the floor heavily.

“Hey, look, you can't rush these things,” the master advised. “I mean, Zen could be anywhere! In your ear, under a bath mat, the bottom of a lake. Who knows? You can't force it. You've got to be more like me. For instance, when I want clean laundry, you don't see me racing out to get it myself, do you? I just wait, and it comes to me.”

“But that is because I bring it to you,” Seiko said.

“Very clever. And you say you're no closer to Awakening.” The master winked. “Now, I'm pretty sure I saw some Zen in the kitchen. So, if you go make my lunch, you might stumble across it.”

Seiko felt wisdom creep over him. “But, Master, would not the wise course be to wait and let Awakening come to me here?”

“No. That totally won't work. You need to go make lunch. Seriously.”

“But—“

“Trust me on this. I'll have a sandwich.” The master returned to his ball-and-cup game.

Seiko prepared tuna melts.

No comments: